PBD - Prevention of Blindness and Deafness
IPGME&R – SSKM Hospital has become a part of implementation of National Programme for Prevention of Blindness and Deafness through the Health and Family Welfare Ministry, Government of West Bengal.
Goals & Objectives of Prevention of Blindness
- To reduce the backlog of blindness through identification and treatment of blind at primary, secondary and tertiary levels based on assessment of the overall burden of visual impairment in the country
- Develop and strengthen the strategy of National Program for Control of Blindness (NPCB) for Eye Health and prevention of visual impairment; through provision of comprehensive eye care services and quality service delivery
- Strengthening and upgradation of RIOs to become centre of excellence in various sub-specialities of ophthalmology
- Strengthening the existing and developing additional human resources and infrastructure facilities for providing high quality comprehensive Eye Care in all Districts of the country
- To enhance community awareness on eye care and lay stress on preventive measures
- Increase and expand research for prevention of blindness and visual impairment
- Administration of Vitamin A
Goals & Objectives of Prevention of Deafness
- Detection of cases of hearing impairment and deafness during House to house survey as per guidelines by National Program for Prevent and Control of Deafness (NPPCD)
- Awareness regarding ear problems, early detection of deafness, available treatment and health care facilities for referral of such cases.
- Education of community, especially the parents of young children regarding importance of right feeding practices, early detection of deafness in young children, common ear problems and available treatment for hearing impairment/ deafness.