- To train medical under graduates, graduates and post graduates to become the future public health care providers, teachers and research workers.
- To organize postdoctoral courses and PhD to the successful post graduate students.
- To foster spirit of research in fundamental and applied problems in medicine and also to train young post graduates in the spirit and methodology of research.
- To encourage the development of different medical specialties in coordinated way
and to offer facilities for practical and advanced training as specialized branches.
- To arrange refresher courses for medical practitioners and for service personnel.
- To establish a forum for the continued progress in all branches of medical sciences by coordinating the resources available in various hospitals and institutions in the state of West Bengal and also for providing additional facilities for research in various institutions.
- To conduct courses for nursing in under graduate and school level.
- To conduct courses on para medical specialities.