Landmarks
1707
A small hospital for British people was founded in the premises of the Old Fort at Gerstein Place.
1770
The Hospital was shifted to the-then Lower Circular Road, now known as AJC Bose Road. Hospital was named as Presidency General Hospital and was open for admission of general public.
1795
Two new wings and some other additions and alterations were made. These buildings served the residence of  Calcutta for over a century.
1849
Edward Hare, Inspector General of Hospitals in Bengal, carried out his research at the Presidency General  Hospital and discovered quinine.
1870
First centenary celebration was held in P.G. Hospital
1890
Ronald Ross, the then researcher of PG Hospital started his research on Malaria.
1897
Anopheles mosquitoes--a Mosquito species discovered as cause of Malaria.
1898
These buildings were  dismantled. Foundation stone of the Main Building was laid by the then Lieutenant Governor of Bengal, Alexander Mackenzie on 29th January 1898.
1898
Surgeon Major Ronald Ross, the Noble Laureate discovered the manner in which malaria is conveyed by mosquitoes in a small DD Cunnigham Laboratory,70 yards to the south-east gate, near the hospital’s entrance on Lower Circular Road.
1902
Blood Bank and SPM Block were constructed.
1903
Maternity & Gynaecology Building was constructed
1911
Ronald Ross of PG Hospital was conferred on Nobel Prize in Physiology & Medicine.
1923
Woodburn Ward was constructed in two phases.
1925
Michael Madhusudan Dutta, the eminent Bengali poet was the first Bengali who was admitted here for treatment.
1926
Lady Canning House was built for Diploma Education of the nurses.
1954
The Presidency General Hospital was renamed as the Seth Sukhlal Karnani Memorial Hospital by the Government of  West Bengal, in memory of the grandfather of Mr. Indra Kumar  Karnani, who gave a handsome gift of Rs. 17 lakhs for the expansion of hospital.
1954
Cardiology, Cardio thoracic and Ophthalmology Departments were opened.
1955
School of Nursing was established to conduct para medical courses.
1955
Critical Investigation Block and OPD were built.
1957
The Hospital was first ever bestowed in eastern India with the confidence of Medical Council of India (MCI) on 16th January,  to act as Post Graduate Medical Education Center and was renamed as Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research (IPGMER).
1962 Bangur Institute of Neurology founded
1968
Ronald Ross Building was constructed and completed in 1970.
1970
Second centenary of the hospital celebrated.
1975
Chest and Cancer Block were opened along with Bangur Institute of Neurology.
1977
Construction for College of Nursing was started and completed in 1978.
1982
Silver Jubilee of IPGMER was celebrated.
2003
BC Roy Inst of Basic Medical Science merged with IPGMER. Institute of Neurological Sciences was setup
2004
MCI approved Under graduate medical course to the institution.
2006 Alumni Association formed.
2007
Golden Jubilee of IPGMER and Tri-centenary of the hospital (SSKM) celebrated
2008 Nursing College for UG and PG level study was set up
2008 School of Digestive and Liver Diseases was formed
2009 The Bangur Institute of Neuroscience inducted as Part of IPGME&R
2011 Institute of Psychiatry and  Institute of Cardiovascular Sciences was formed
2012 Advanced Neo Natal care department was set up
2013 Genomics, Nuclear medicines super speciality departments were inducted
2014 Human Milk Bank was set up;
School of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation was launched
2015 Clinical outdoor was introduced in Nuclear Medicines department
Back to The Institution main page
Home Management Administration Committees Academic Hospital Services Multiple Superspeciality Research Campus News Notice Board Citizens Charter Welfare Programs Extra Curricular Activities Tender Right to Information Information Centre Annual Reports Alumni Students Union Value Added Links Contact Information